Year 11 students take part in a 3 day Careers Conference that includes visits to The University of Melbourne, Monash University, RMIT and Swinburne University. The focus of the conference is to investigate the wide variety of tertiary options available to students.
A recruitment specialist guides students through the interview process that is a requirement for acceptance into various courses eg Medicine, Advertising and Fashion Design. Students have the option of attending a folio preparation workshop or a careers exploration workshop.
The Careers Conference enables students:
- To clarify the selection process eg whether selection is based purely on ATAR score or whether an interview is also part of the process
- To learn more about university life, including the clubs and societies and support services available to students
- To learn more about the strengths and specialties of the different universities and the degrees offered at each campus
- To learn how to enhance the university experience (e.g. combining two degrees, gain industry experience through a work placement, study abroad or excel in an advanced program)
- To understand the cost of getting a university degree or TAFE diploma
- To find out about the range of tertiary providers and the courses available
- To develop effective interview skills.