Co-educational Programs from 18 months through to 4 year old kindergarten
Full time 3 and 4 year old kindergarten programs
Flexible extended hours programs: 7.30am–6pm
Child Care Subsidy available
Our Shelford Early Learning Centre is co-educational, with a Toddler group for children from 18 months of age, and 3 Year Old and 4 Year Old Kindergarten programs. For the convenience of families Shelford also offers the added benefit of child care hours before and after the formal educational programs. The Centre opens at 7.30am and closes at 6pm. We have the additional benefit that parents can claim the Child Care Subsidy.
The National Quality Assessment process evaluates each ELC and Childcare Centre across Australia and the latest assessment places Shelford ELC in the top 5% of centres in Australia.
Our ELC Curriculum follows the Australian Early Years Learning Framework, and is inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach. This means that our educators focus on the children’s interests, and they actively seek to draw out their questions and build on their innate desire to learn. Projects form an important element of Reggio programs. Projects delve into topics in detail and the staff create documentation and artefacts that document each learning journey. Children find this way of learning deeply satisfying. The ‘Creation Story of Bunjil’ video on this page is an example of a final piece of artwork that celebrates a three year old group’s project which emanated from an interest in the Aboriginal creation story of Bunjil.
Shelford has specialist classes across all age groups that are designed to complement the wide array of experiences and activities that occur in the classroom every day:
- In Library children learn about our school and how schools work, and the love of books is nurtured.
- During Sport children learn about the importance of being healthy, fit and coordinated, how to be a team member and how to challenge themselves to do the very best they can.
- In Dance and Music children learn to appreciate the beauty that the world of the arts offers; singing and moving rhythmically, hearing music from different cultures and enlivening their imaginations.
- The Shelford Jolly Phonics Program begins in 4 Year Old Kindergarten; this program is based on sound early literacy research about how children become literate.
- Yoga and bush kinder: in the second half of the year our four year olds participate in alternating yoga and bush kinder visits to our local Harelston Park.