Our house system
The house system was introduced in 1928 with the first four houses named Blundell, Thomas, Langley and School House. In 1934 School House was renamed Lloyd.
Blundell is named after Shelford's second Principal Miss Dora Mary Petrie Blundell (1905–1921). Miss Dora Blundell began teaching at Shelford shortly after it opened in 1898. Supporting Emily Dixon, Dora became the School's acting Headmistress in 1904 and then fully assumed the role from 1905. Teaching students with her sister Fannie, Dora led the School through World War One until her retirement in 1921. Dora always kept a close association with Shelford, sitting on the School Board, teaching Divinity and attending sports days until the mid-1930s.
Thomas is a tribute to Shelford's longest serving Principal Miss Ada Mary Thomas (1921–1944). Aside from having Thomas House named after her in 1928, Miss Thomas also created a number of traditions at Shelford during her tenure. The first was a whole school celebration of her birthday each year on 19 June. The other was the highly anticipated Prefects Weekend held around November each year, where Miss Thomas would take the prefects away to the Dandenong Ranges or to Frankston for a weekend of adventure. Miss Thomas chose the colour blue for the house named in her honour.
Langley (green and yellow)
Appointed the Canon of St Mary's Church in Caulfield in 1911, Henry Thomas Langley began his association with Shelford Girls' School teaching Divinity classes to Miss Blundell's pupils at 77 Allison Road. Gifted the name and goodwill of Shelford by Miss Blundell at her retirement in 1921, Langley attached the School to his church and founded Shelford Church of England Girls' Grammar School. Langley’s daughter Grace attended Shelford during the late 1920s and early 1930s. In 1942 Langley was elected Dean of Melbourne and green from the Dean's vestment robes was added to the existing yellow in the Langley house colours.
An alumni of Caulfield Grammar School, Langley served as the School's chaplain from 1911–1942. Two of Langley’s sisters founded St Catherine’s School in Toorak. There are Langley Houses at Shelford, St Catherine’s and Caulfield Grammar as a result.
Maurice Charles Lloyd (known as 'MC') was a local of the Caulfield area and a parishioner at St Mary’s for most of his life. Joining the St Mary’s Vestry as its secretary around 1920, MC worked closely with Canon Langley to bring Shelford Girls’ School to the Church and then secure Helenslea for school purposes. MC is a signatory on the mortgage papers for Helenslea and subsequent loans that were taken to renovate the property. He also sat on the School Council as its secretary and was responsible for the balancing the School’s finances. Shelford’s early years after joining the Church (1922–1945) were extremely tough. MC was a major patron of the school during this time and acted as a personal guarantor for Shelford's mortgages during the Depression. In 1932, School House was renamed Lloyd in his honour and the house colour changed to purple. MC’s regiment in World War I was purple and he chose the new colour himself. MC’s two daughters Nona and Judy attended Shelford during the 1920s and 30s.